Thursday, November 24, 2011

Book Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Review: Before I read this, I knew that it has gotten phenomenal reviews, so I went in with super high expectations. This book blew those expectations out of the water! I only read 40 pages of this book yesterday and finished all 398 of them today. The reason? This story was just so gosh darn good! I normally don't read science fiction, so I wasn't sure how this story was going to go. Instead of a boring, cliche sci-fi I have had the unfortunate luck to read, Across the Universe was a unique, addicting book that I just couldn't stop reading. 

Hmm, what'd I like best about this book? Let's start off with the characters. Amy is so awesome. She's dealing with leaving behind her boyfriend to be with her parents in the future. When she wakes up, she's so strong and outspoken that I found myself liking her from the moment we meet her. And Elder, oh Elder. Let me just say Amy's lucky she's the only person on the ship his age now because he is so perfect. He's sensitive, strong, and caring, which is so appealing in a guy. Crazy things were thrown at him left and right, but he always knew what to do. 

Speaking of crazy things, this book had tons of crazy, unexpected things happen. Maybe I was just ignorant, but there were two, maybe even three times where I was like WHAT!? because I didn't expect what happened to happen at all. That, I think, it really what makes books amazing. My other favorite part was how the author alternates points of view. Simone Elkeles does this in her books (which are some of my favorites) and I love being able to see both of the characters' thoughts on what's going on. So I think this book was really awesome and I seriously can't wait for the sequel! If you haven't already, pick put this book! Now!


4 comments:

  1. I LOVED Across The Universe! It was amazing!
    The first chapter freaked me out--"I am ice". It terrified me, and I was hooked from then on.

    It surprised me over and over and over, I always on my toes. Thanks for a fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I have an ARC of this that my friend sent me sitting on my shelf, and I can't believe I haven't read it yet! I'm a super huge sci fi nerd. I'll definitely be checking it out soon.
    Book Brats

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this book, but I have heard it is awesome. I just added it to my Christmas list! From your review it is a must read! I can't wait- I love books that are fast and exciting!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like this book! Being the first science fiction I've ever read, my expectations were met, plus, I can't wait to read A Million Suns! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...