Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Book Review: Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone
By Kat Rosenfield 
Release Date: July 5, 2012

Summary: An arresting un-coming-of-age story, from a breathtaking talent

Becca has always longed to break free from her small, backwater hometown. But the discovery of an unidentified dead girl on the side of a dirt road sends the town--and Becca--into a tailspin. Unable to make sense of the violence of the outside world creeping into her backyard, Becca finds herself retreating inward, paralyzed from moving forward for the first time in her life.

Short chapters detailing the last days of Amelia Anne Richardson's life are intercut with Becca's own summer as the parallel stories of two young women struggling with self-identity and relationships on the edge twist the reader closer and closer to the truth about Amelia's death.


Review: Hmmm after reading this I'm not really sure what to think of it. I mean, the cover is gorgeous, so that's why I was really excited to win this from the LIbrarything early reviewers. Reading the summary, I was even more intrigued by the murder, mystery, and relationships (aka romance, my favorite). So when I finally got this book, I knew I had to start it right away.

My favorite part about this book was definitely the writing style. Kat Rosenfield is an amazing writer and her descriptions and overall organization of the book were amazing. The story switched between Amelia the day before her death and Rebecca after they found Amelia's body. The story then progresses moving closer to Amelia dying and closer to Rebecca figuring out who did it. Along the way, both girls learn more about themselves and what they really want out of their lives. Too bad we all know Amelia dies that night. But the reader becomes really connected to both girls and wants the best for them.

What I'm really not sure about, though, is if I like how the story ended. I know the whole book was about Rebecca and Amelia and figuring out how Amelia died, but at some parts, I was like "what's the point of this?" I'm not sure why, but the story was kind of in and out for me during the middle parts. And how things turned out, I kind of wish it was more dramatic and shocking. For finally uncovering a murderer, there could have been way more shock and suspense. There was some by how the author wrote it out, switching from each girl at very vital moments, but the actual storyline just needed more oomph.

I'm not saying this was a bad book. In fact, it was really quite good and definitely unlike anything I've ever read before. There were just a few things that didn't quite let it reach five star potential. Despite that, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a break from the same old standard books and try something different for a change. With this one, you won't be able to put it down until you know every last detail of Amelia's death, which goes until the very last page. So read this book if you're in the mood for a different and definitely interesting book. 



4 comments:

  1. i really want to read this and it sounds really good! i also LOVE the cover!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!=

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...