Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Book Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)
By Sarah J Maas
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Source: Gifted 
When magic has gone from the world, and a vicious king rules from his throne of glass, an assassin comes to the castle. She does not come to kill, but to win her freedom. If she can defeat twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition to find the greatest assassin in the land, she will become the King's Champion and be released from prison.

Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her.

And a princess from a foreign land will become the one thing Celaena never thought she'd have again: a friend.

But something evil dwells in the castle—and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying, horribly, one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival—and a desperate quest to root out the source of the evil before it destroys her world.




I know what you are all thinking. HOW AM I JUST READING THIS BOOK NOW? Well, I'll have you know that I am not a huge fantasy reader, but I read ACOTAR and ACOMAF this summer and completely fell in love with them, so I couldn't wait to finally give Throne of Glass a chance. 

Celaena Sardothien is known by everyone as the most deadly assassin. Little do they know, she's a teenage girl who has been captured and is working in the worst slave camp, fighting each day to survive. When the prince and his captain of the guard show up with the offer for her to compete to be the king's personal assassin, Celaena knows that it is her only hope of freedom, so she agrees. Celaena is swept into the glass kingdom and finds herself facing magic, evil, brute force, and romantic feelings that leave her more conflicted than ever. 

Let me start off by saying I think that reading ACOTAR and ACOMAF before this book made me not love it as much. Those two books were just such epic fantasies and romances that I was expecting a lot from Throne of Glass. While I really enjoyed this story and how kick-butt Celaena's character was, I was left feeling dissatisfied with the romance. I didn't buy into Celaena's feelings for the guy in this book and I wanted much more passion and intensity than what we got. I don't know, it just seemed a bit juvenile and Celaena seemed younger than she should have been as a girl who's been raised to kill her entire life. 

I really did enjoy the whole complicated world our characters lived in and how Celaena was competing to be the king's assassin. I had a little bit of an issue with the pacing and how quickly some things passed while others dragged, but overall I enjoyed the fantasy aspects. I got a little confused in the final battle with all of the details in what happened, but I was left excited to pick up book two and see where our characters were going next. 

While this was not as fabulous as the ACOTAR series, I still really enjoyed Throne of Glass. There is action, magic, romance, and mystery that will keep you reading and reading until you are begging book two.



1 comment:

  1. I don't read a lot of fantasy either and these books are SO intimidating. I have it and SO many people want me to read it, but I'm scarrrrrred!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...