Thursday, March 15, 2018

Book Review: What He Doesn't Know by Kandi Steiner

What He Doesn't Know (What He Doesn't Know Duet #1)
by Kandi Steiner
Release Date: March 15, 2018
Source: Author
On the northeast side of town, there is a house.

The house was once magical, filled with love and joy and plans for the future. 

Inside its walls are many things that belong to me — my books, the china from my mother on my wedding day, the beautiful cage once home to two birds, now empty, just like me.

And a man.

A man who also belongs to me.

A man I no longer wish to keep.

A man who, no doubt, has not slept, though the sun is rising. Because the house where he waits is where I laid my head to rest every night for eight years. Until last night.

No one who knows me would believe Charlie Pierce, the quiet, bookish girl who never made waves is pulling out of the driveway of a man who isn’t her husband.

But they don’t know me at all.

I don’t even know me.

Not anymore.

They say there are two sides to every story, and I suppose in most cases, that’s true. But the one I live inside of? It has three.

On the northeast side of town, there is a house.

But there is no longer a home.



Every time a new Kandi Steiner books comes out, my hands start itching to get ahold of it. Kandi always delivers on the emotion and I had a feeling that this one would not disappoint! 

Charlie can't remember the last time she smiled and meant it. She can't remember the last time she felt truly loved by her husband. She can't remember the last time she lived. When Reese comes flying back into her life after 14 years, Charlie fights the urge to learn how to live again. Because learning to live again could ruin her marriage forever. 

Going into this one, I wouldn't say I was hesitant, but I was worried about the whole cheating aspect. I mean, our heroine was married and a guy from her past shows up and makes her question everything. But as soon as we got into the story, all thoughts of right and wrong are thrown out the window. Because there is no right or wrong. The lines are blurred so much in this story and, as the reader, you really have no idea who you want to choose for Charlie. She goes through so much in this story and I felt for her the entire time. 

While I love the fun NA books from Kandi, What He Doesn't Know is a mature look at what it really means to love someone and be with them. I loved how the characters were older than your typical romance out there (30 and 35) and how they had to battle with emotions while trying to decide if they wanted to put themselves first or stay loyal to their promises. Also, all of the characters were professional working adults with obligations, which made this book so realistic. They all also had some serious heartbreak and hardships in their past that greatly affected how they acted and felt in the present. Instead of dumping all of that information on us, though, we got to learn about the characters and their pasts through their interactions and conversations with one another, which I absolutely loved. I felt more immersed in their lives instead of an outsider looking in. 

I am in love with every word Kandi writes and this book is no different. With emotion, blurred lines between right and wrong, and a heart wrenching romance, you have to pick up What He Doesn't Know. And since this is a duet, be prepared to have your heart obliterated at the end of this book and dying for book two!


1 comment:

  1. Yayy! I'm glad you enjoyed this even though you were worried at first

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...